Why I Chose PR
**Originally posted February 22, 2009**
In high school I, like most teenagers, went through many possible career choices…I love dolphins, so for awhile I was thinking Marine Biologist, then there was Interior Decorator and for quite awhile I was thinking receptionist or something along those lines. When I was in grade 10 I had two teachers that would “let” me help out with stuff such as filing or organizing stuff or just whatever needed to be done and I was pretty good at it…I’m good at organizing stuff if it’s not mine..lol…although I am getting somewhat better. Anyway Public Relations was never really a possible career choice until about grade 11.
Honestly, I didn’t really have any idea what it was or anything like that, but like I said in grade 11 that changed. One of the classes I had to take involved us having to do all sorts of career testing and and career planning and blah blah blah. After having to take some quiz where after you finished you would get a list of sorts where they would list different careers you may be interested in or good at based on your answers. Several different tests and public relations came up as a top career on all of them. I never really gave it much thought until after I had started college.
My first year I did General Arts & Science–took a bunch of classes that were interesting (for the most part anyway) and one class in which was a requirement. This class again was based on topics such as career choices, personal choices, finances, budgets etc. Public Relations again came up as a top “option” on my career testing, so I began to look into seriously as a possible career option.
The next year I took Executive Office Admin, because the college I was at did not have Public Relations as a regular program–it was a post-grad program, so my original plan was to take the Executive Office Program then apply for the Public Relations post-grad program. This was the plan until about half-way through the year I got so fed up with the Executive Office Admin program–the classes, the teachers and even just with the school. So I made the decision to apply to different colleges with Public Relations as a program. I was accepted at a bunch of different schools and made the decision to go to Conestoga College.
Well that didn’t exactly work out (ended up being wait-listed or some crap like that) and ended up attending Durham College. Which was supposedly the “best PR program in Ontario”–to which I reply…riiiiiiiight…that in itself is a whole other story. After three loooong years at Durham College, I finally graduated in October. So there you have it…the (if not somewhat condensed) story of how I ended up choosing PR. Now if only I could find a damn PR job.





0 comments:
Post a Comment